Thursday, April 25, 2013

Globetrottin'

Remember that topographical globe sitting atop the bookshelf in the library at your grade school? That magical, mysterious sphere. I would hold up my index finger, close my eyes, dream of some far away tropical land, and give that globe a BIG spin. Where my finger "landed" is where I wished to be. Sometimes I'd end up in the middle of the Pacific and a buddy, Nelson, bursting my bubble, would announce, " Ha, ha, you're on Gilligan's Island". With another spin, my finger would catch on the bumpy ridges of the Himalays. Cool, I'm on Mt Everest. I liked that game.

Last week I saw the same globe at a thrift shop. I wanted it. Knowing I couldn't have it, something magical draws me to it. I hold my finger up against it and dream of my next sandy destination. Eyes closed, I spin that blue, green, brown beach ball. With eager anticipation, I open my eyes only to find out that again, I'm in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Until the invention of the magic carpet, we are a lot closer now more than ever, to travel to far away places that we've always dreamed of. Yes, like Aladdin and Jasmine in Arabia, it's a whole new world. No matter how exotic.

 In just a week, I'll be traveling to Europe non-stop from Portland in just over nine hours. It takes me longer to drive to see my Mom in Sacramento. With the current innovation boom, our globe is shrinking.

Take out your favorite e-gadget. Now google, t-r-a-v-e-l. Look! Millions of travel options right there at your fingertips. So many in fact, it's impossible to keep track of all of them. Bookmark your favorites. Add the app to your e-gadget. Use them. Boy is this fun: travelocity, kayak, Tripit. Okay, that's enough. But wait, I forgot my favorite, GOOGLE EARTH. Just like that giant globe in the school library, you can now dream about your next getaway with this electronic globe.

Go ahead, give that glorious google globe a BIG spin, hold a finger up to your touch screen, close your eyes, and make your wish for a happy landing. And by all means, don't let the Nelson's of this world burst your bubble.

Dreams do come true...Coming Soon in 3-D.

No comments:

Post a Comment