Monday, March 10, 2014

Vegemite

Yesterday I cranked up my music compilation, grabbed the garden loppers , and went at it in the yards. My guilty pleasure~singing, while Edward Scissorhands-ing the shrubs.

As the clippings piled high, my token, completely silly, "escape" song played. Men at Work's early 80's pop song Down Under. I remember watching this video on MTV while in college and thinking, one day I want to go THERE and get me a Vegemite sandwich. Sounded so exotic. Here in Portland, they have yet to pull up a Vegemite sandwich cart.

Australia is probably the furthest we could travel in a single leg from the west coast. If I'm going that far, I'm gonna stay a while. Australia is nearly as large in area as the US. It's so big, it's its own continent.

Imagine being a foreigner wanting to explore the US in two weeks, a month, a year. Sure, maybe Los Angeles in two weeks. Oregon in a month is possible. A year? Yea, you could cover a lot of ground here in a year but merely scratch the surface. All the while, craving the Vegemite.

Dreaming Of Wallabies, Barrier Reefs, Slow Travel
(I believe I have swim trunks on??)

So as we contemplate our launch date, wallabies, barrier reefs, and slow travel, a trip to Australia seems to lure us. 

Until then, my weekend afternoon yard work routine will keep me dreaming(and singing)of far away places.

Take me away, Men at Work...

Passportsandpostcards.com



No comments:

Post a Comment