Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Cut It Up, Dude

I use tools everyday that are neither in my toolbox nor in the garage. These tools are kept in a kitchen drawer. These tools are sharp, clean, and ready to use. My kitchen knives are my favorite most useful tool so working in my kitchen is more enjoyable with good sharp knives and almost more important, proper cutting boards.

www.passportsandpostcards.com

These kitchen knives were a wedding gift from my father-in-law thirty years ago. Karl was a firm believer that if you invest in quality tools, take care of them, they'll last forever. I've been gifted other knives but nothing even cuts the mustard as these Chicago Cutlery knives do. Sure, the food processor does the job, but by the time I pull that out and put it together, I'd have a few cloves of garlic, an onion, celery, and carrots chopped with Benihana chef efficiency and precision.

For a few years, I kept these sharp with a standard knife steel. Again, the wisdom of Karl prevailed, and I invested in this Chefs Choice high-end diamond honed sharpener. I pull this out a few times a year to sharpen my knives and now, before the holidays, is the perfect time.

The first slot removes the old edge while the second and third slots sharpen and hone the knife blade. In a few minutes, the blades are like new and I'd challenge any kitchen knife to a chop-off. 

Today, and every day, I am thankful for these knives and take pride in keeping them clean and sharp. Nothing is more impressive than a dinner guest helping prepare a salad by slicing through a beautiful tomato, like butter, with my knife.







No comments:

Post a Comment